Monday, November 28, 2005

Finally, a 10!

Gorizia
Worthington Springs, Florida
I am having trouble believing it myself.

Driving to Cedar Key, Florida on Thanksgiving Day, Diane and I thought we were going to be relegated to eating at - of all decrepit places - McDonald's. It seemed that Mickey D's was the only place cruel enough to have their employees working schelpping McFood, rather than eating turkey and dressing with the family.
Finally, a 10!
Our route took us down US Highway 1 to Folkston, Georgia (gateway to the Okefenokee) and from there GA 121 to the Florida state line and FL 121 down to Gainesville. As we crossed Interstate 10, Diane made some rumbling about stopping at the next open McDonald's - out of sheer desperation. I think that her hunger had somehow weakened her mind. The hunger had maddened me as well - I was going to stop.
That all ended when we rolled into Worthington Springs, Florida.
I am pleased to announce that Gorizia: real Italian Restaurant has received a 10. Let me say that one more time... Gorizia: real Italian Restaurant gets a 10! Stop me, I must be dreaming!
We were at once impressed with the eclectic Florida tiki bar motif - not exactly what you would call rural Tuscan....but, then again.... who cares?!?! "No Preachin' No Politikin' No Whinin'" are the rules of the house...good with Diane and I, we are sick of all of the above. It looked like it was someone's house - and I suspect that it may be. Open on Thanksgiving? "Sure...why not...come on over to our house for dinner" was the attitude we found.
We ordered - at the owner's recommendation - the lasagne special for $22 for two. At first I thought that seemed a bit high. Of course, that was until I got the first course: a plate o' salad with handmade balsamic vinaigrette and feta cheese. This was a mound of salad!
Then came the rolls.
Let's just put it this way, there were no vampires stalking us for a day or so after eating this mound of bread. These are the kind of garlic rolls that just ooze butter and garlic down your hand. You have to use a napkin just to eat the bread - that is my kind of roll!
By the time the lasagne got there, I was ready for the finale. The entree did not disappoint! A big ol' plate of lasagne that the lady hand cut and personally served to Diane and I.... this was too much to hope for! A place with good food, prompt service AND nice people!
I cannot recommend Gorizia any stronger! John will make you a good Italian meal and then sit down and talk about...stuff... with you.

According to their web site: "Don't see it on the menu? Just request it! If we have the ingredients...we'll make it." I fully believe that to be true. This is one good place...sorry to keep repeating myself...

Toto, we are not in Georgia any more.

5 responses:

Anonymous said...

i have been there too.. fabulous...cannot describe it any other way......

Anonymous said...

oh man we went there tonight wow what a realllllllly nice little restaurant. Excellent food, wonderful owners...whew!!!

Diane Daniel said...

We haven't been able to get back there again but hopefully before we leave this neck of the woods we will - it has remained one of our absolute best dining experiences here in the South...!

Anonymous said...

there is a website of worthington springs comments on topix...these people are off the chain. youre right...the lasagna is to die for!!! we have been there every week since your post...they are the absolute best italian restuarant we have ever been to. (And were Italian!!!) We love those two hard working people who try sooo hard to make us happy and satisfied. AMEN to 2 of the hardest working people we know.

Anonymous said...

we love the food and service..too bad they are yankees... we do not like yankees....... we are insiders they are outsiders....